Friday, November 23, 2018

The "Obedience of Faith"

What does the phrase, "obedience of faith" mean? (Rom. 1:5; 16:26) It is WHY the Lord and the apostles, preached...i.e., THAT was the aim, the goal, the purpose for which they labored. They taught; they preached to bring about this result: AN OBEDIENT FAITH! Just look at those 3 words for a few moments....it means that you are obedient! But obedient to WHAT? What is it that you are to obey? Would your answer be "Jesus"? Well, in obeying "Jesus", what are you going to "obey"? Can you answer? Do you "obey" Jesus, by believing in Jesus, or by believing that He died for you? Is this all there is to "obedience"?
Jesus said of "belief", "... unless you believe that I am "He", you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24) This word "HE" makes a huge difference. Read this statement of Jesus without this word. It defines WHAT is to be believed about Jesus. Jesus said that except we believe that "I am 'HE'." What did this mean? Jesus had explained earlier what it meant (see v. 12, "“I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”)
Please notice that Jesus did NOT just say "I am the Light of the world". What ELSE did Jesus say, in connection with this? It will explain the phrase "obedience of faith". Do you see what word corresponds to obedience? Notice some other statements that relate to "obedience of faith":
- Exod. 20:6 - showing loving-kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- 1 Kings 9:6 - if you or your sons indeed turn away from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes
- 2 Kings 17:13 - Turn from your evil ways and keep My commandments, My statutes
- Neh. 1:9 - if you return to Me and keep My commandments and do them
- Psalm 143:10 - Teach me to do Your will
- Luke 6:46 - why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
- John 3:36 - He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life
- John 14:15 - If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
- John 15:10 - If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love
- 2 John 1:9 - Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son
What does the phrase, "obedience of faith" mean? (Rom. 1:5; 16:26) It is WHY the Lord and the apostles, preached...i.e., the aim, the goal, and the purpose for which they labored.  They taught; they preached to bring about: AN OBEDIENT FAITH!
It is why DOCTRINE MATTERS when speaking of salvation from sin.  We may teach the words of Jesus in John 8:24, without explaining the significance of "that I am HE" as it relates to "obedience of faith". We may also teach the words of Jesus in John 8:12 without explaining the significance of "he who follows Me" as it relates to "obedience of faith". But if we do, we will not bring about, or lead to, an obedient faith. While it may lead to, or bring about faith...will faith, without obedience, save?

11/23/2018
rdb

No comments:

Post a Comment