Wednesday, April 8, 2020

THE IRONY OF EXCUSES


A man was asked by a second man if he could borrow his lawnmower; the first man replied ‘NO, I am baking a cake’; to which the second man stated, ‘what does baking a cake have to do with my borrowing your lawnmower’? The first man replied, ‘nothing, but when you need an excuse; one is as good as another’.

So likewise for the half-hearted disciple; God invites him to commune every week on Sunday, but he "has a cake to bake". What does baking a cake have to do with worship? “Nothing, but when you need an excuse, one is as good as another.”

Speaking of excuses for not assembling for worship; one is 'as good as another'. The irony of excuses is seen when the same person will use opposite "reasons" to hide the truth about why he couldn't assemble to worship.

The same person who said on one occasion, "I had a hard week at work", then said on another occasion, "I needed to work".
Who said on one occasion, "I had relatives show up…", said on another occasion, "I went to visit relatives".
Who said on one occasion, "I’m sick, and couldn't go out", said on another occasion, "It was such a beautiful day; I went out".
Who said on one occasion, "I went last week", said on another occasion, "I’ll go next week".
Who said on one occasion, "I overslept", said on another occasion, "I slept in".
Who said on one occasion, "I was on vacation, said on another occasion, "I need a vacation".

Truly, "...wisdom is justified of all her children."
Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35

4/8/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment